- That synthetic fertilizer is needed, without it we have famine, and before it half the workforce had to farm to feed the other half.
- Those crops need pest protection. Before synthetic pesticides we used much more toxic substances.
- Before electricity and natural gas we burned unrefined solid fuels inside our homes - wood, coal, dung. Resulting in indoor air pollution. 40% of population today still rely on pre-industrial fuels.
- Before modern appliances housework was a full-time job. Each household spent almost 60hrs a week on manual labour, hauling water, sewing clothes, washing, cooking from scratch.
- Plastic replaced materials like ivory, tortoise shells, whale bone, that resulted in hunting to near extinction.
- Before cars we relied on millions of horses, which polluted our streets with manure
- Half of everyone you know over the age of five is alive because of antibiotics, vaccines, sanitizing chemicals in our water supply. Infant mortality was as high as 20% before this.
With industrial literacy, you can see the economy as a set of solutions to problems.
Source: Industrial literacy
original file:: [[tickler-2020-11]]